Sure, their ads are risque and sometimes their silhouettes are a bit skimpy, but if you take the time, you will be surprised to find some great items at American Apparel. It's also nice to know that all their products are made domestically and that we can support our economy as opposed to something made overseas.
Over the past year, American Apparel has branched out into items other than their basic tee shirts. I am loving their kids line (which I will save for another post) and they have some great fashion separates. Their prices are not super cheap, but definitely affordable. I put together 2 complete outfits that were both under $100!
This dress immediately caught my eye. I love the soft lavender, and lace is always very chic. Since the top is completely unlined, I needed something to put underneath. The sales associate recommended a nude colored tube dress, which completely eliminated any worries of the dress being too sheer.
The lavender dress is $58 and the Tube dress was $29. I spotted this fluorescent braided belt $13 and thought it would be a pretty pop against the soft purple. The total comes to exactly $100 for all 3 pieces.
soft chambray skirt $38, which would go with just about anything.
You could put any nude color tank under this blouse; I would do their basic Cami which is $18. So, if you total up all 3, $44 for the blouse, $38 for the skirt and $18 for the Cami the total for the outfit is $100.
medium leather carry-all pouch which is $50. Right now the blog world is all a buzz about personalizing your own pouch just using some painters tape and acrylic paint.
Bee from Atlantic-Pacific, don't you love her hand painted version? I think I would do pink, white and orange stripes. To see how she did it, click HERE.
American Apparel is located on the Country Club Plaza, right next to Standard Style Boutique. 816-561-1533
The Shopping Scout in Kansas City
About Shopping Scout
As a former clothing buyer turned working mom, Melanie Knopke understands the challenge of finding the best for less. Check in daily as Melanie reports back with incredible deals, fabulous finds and all the best that Kansas City has to offer.
Find n Save on Facebook
Find n Save on Twitter
Real-Time Kansas City Shopping
- Advance Auto PartsKansas City, MO
- American ApparelKansas City, MO
- American EagleKansas City, MO
- Ann TaylorKansas City, KS
- Ann Taylor LoftKansas City, MO
- Armani ExchangeKansas City, MO
- Best BuyKansas City, MO
- BordersOverland Park, KS
- Chico'sKansas City, MO
- Coldwater CreekKansas City, MO
- EBGamesKansas City, MO
- Famous FootwearKansas City, MO
- FastenalNorth Kansas City, MO
- Finish LineIndependence, MO
- GolfsmithOverland Park, KS
- Guitar CenterIndependence, MO
- Home DepotKansas City, MO
- JCPenneyOverland Park, KS
- Johnston & MurphyKansas City, MO
- Lowe'sKansas City, MO
- Macy'sPrairie Village, KS
- Micro CenterOverland Park, KS
- NordstromOverland Park, KS
- Office DepotKansas City, MO
- Rack Room ShoesKansas City, KS
- RadioShackKansas City, MO
- SearsKansas City, MO
- StaplesKansas City, MO
- Sunglass HutKansas City, MO
- TargetKansas City, MO
- ToysRUsIndependence, MO
- WalgreensKansas City, MO
- White House/Black MarketKansas City, MO